- 2 packets Sympli yam cubes
- 500g beef
- 300g okra, chopped
- 50ml red palm oil
- 1 handful fresh spinach or Ugu or washed bitterleaf
- 1 medium size catfish, smoked
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 basil leaves
- 3 cups egusi (melon) seeds
- 2 tbsps. crayfish, crushed
- 2 tsp. white pepper
- Salt & seasoning to taste
- Scotch bonnet peppers (optional)
How to Prepare Egusi Okra Soup & Pounded Yam;
In a pot, boil beef with onion, garlic, basil leaves, white pepper, salt and seasoning to taste. Add enough water and cook beef until tender.
Blend egusi with water and add it to the beef alongside catfish, and crayfish. Make sure to rinse the blender with a bit more water and add contents to the pot.
Add spinach, ugu or washed bitterleaves and cook for about 20 minutes until egusi is cooked.
Add coarsely chopped okra and palm oil and cook for another 15 minutes under medium heat stirring regularly.
While soup is cooking, boil yam cubes until very soft and ‘pound’ it using a food processor or a mortar and pestle. Mold yam into small oval-like shapes and serve with egusi okra soup.